Monday, January 09, 2006

The Gluten-free Part

I have celiac disease. This means I cannot eat gluten or foods containing gluten. Gluten is in EVERYTHING. At least, that's how it feels right this very minute as I attempt to get back to being gluten-free(GF). I was GF for about 6 months--felt so good. Hadn't realized how foggy I was, (ok, I had realized, but thought it was because I was never getting enough sleep or something) or that my tummy shouldn't hurt all the time. I had so much energy and spunk...and then I think pizza got in the way. Pizza.

I have found a couple of others (knitter's even!) who are GF here in Blogland (HI GUYS!) and feel like I can do this. So what am I making this very minute?? GLUTEN-FREE PIZZA DOUGH for my GF Pizza! Whoo-Hoo! I'm very excited about it. I hope it's good. Not only have I never made regular pizza dough, but I've only ever made one loaf of GF bread (not pizza dough) in my GF bread machine my dear, dear, dear employers bought me for Christmas. So, I'll let you know how it turns out! And I may come chasing after a different recipe if this one bombs!

Ooo! Gotta go look!

4 Comments:

At 09 January, 2006 15:58, Blogger Chris said...

Oh! I have the best, easiest pizza crust recipe!!

I'll give you the story first. Not having pizza was torture. So I tried making a pizza crust. I hadn't worked much with yeast before and so managed to kill it. My pizza came out with this translucent rice flour crust that was rubbery and flat. We peeled off the cheese and toppings and ate those... and the inedible crust looked like a flayed skin. Eeeeeek!

Then I went to a meeting of my local support group and Carol Fenster was there, doing a cooking demo. She made pizza. It was fabulous. I bought her cookbook on the spot and volunteered to test recipes for her - which I've had the honor of doing for several of her books and other ventures.

Anyway - her pizza crust recipe is divine. And very simple - it requires no kneading. No bread machine. No real rising. I've made it for friends and family members (gluten eaters and not) and everyone loves it.

Sold you on it yet?? :)

 
At 09 January, 2006 17:34, Blogger Lynda said...

I have a friend with celiac - I can't imagine... I hope you pizza is GREAT!

 
At 10 January, 2006 06:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Kirsten - what are you going to put on it?!

I've just had a look at Chris's link - and bookmarked it!

Do stick with it - it's honestly worth it.

 
At 13 January, 2006 03:53, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Add me to your gluten free list of knitbloggers :-)
Do you have a Wholefoods near you? See if they have any Orgran foods. They are very yummy and made here in Oz. The GF bread I got from Wholefoods in '99 sucked - it was like eating chalk. Very disappointing. Or move to Oz cos we have lots of nice GF foods now and even the odd cafe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home