Thursday, December 29, 2005

Notice the new button...

I just signed up for SecretPal7! I'm very excited about it because I'm not quite sure what I've gotten myself into! This is not the Knittyboard sp...and by the way, "SP" has a WHOLE DIFFERENT meaning to me, so I giggle every time I see it. You see, I lived on a ship for 2 years as a part of a missionary organization called Operation Mobilization and during a person's first year with them one is not supposed to be focusing on the opposite sex--a person is supposed to be there serving God and learning what that means and BOYS just distract (it is true!), so they have a Social Permission (SP) Policy: No one-on-one hanging out with the opposite sex for more than 3 minutes during the first year with OM. When that year is over, you can apply for Social Permission with someone of the opposite sex, and on the ship, if you are approved by the Personnel Office, they put your names up on the public bulletin board. It's kinda like...an engagement announcement only you aren't engaged. In fact, since you haven't spent more than 3 minutes at a time (sic!) with said person-of-the-opposite-sex you shouldn't know much about them at all! It's kinda odd. People start avoiding the couple so they can have alone time and it's definitely a cultural difference...especially for the western folks. Of course, there are people from all over the world (35 different countries while I was on board) and that is part of why the policy is there. Culture is so cool. I love it. That's the not-so-short, unofficial version of what I think of every time I see the letters S. P. No, I never did have SP with anyone...but I broke the policy many times...bad Kirsten. :o)

Teehee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home