Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Ship--no knitting content here.

OK, I mentioned a couple posts back that I will be in Croatia for my birthday--my 35th birthday, mind you. Just thought a bit of explanation may be in order!

I'm helping to lead a team of 5-6 Project Workers for 14 days to Trogir, Croatia. We will be working on the LogosHope--a ship that's being refitted to be used as a passenger ship/book shop/cultural melting pot/extreme learning experience for those crazy enough to join and be a part of the madness. In it's former life, the LogosHope was a ferry between Denmark and The Faroe Islands. It's now owned by a non-profit based in Germany (Gute Bucher fur Alle) and we will be raising support to be able to go help out while she's in dry-dock.

We have basically very little idea of what we will actually be doing! "Being flexible," is my general answer to that question...getting dirty and sweaty, working our butts off...when I worked dry-dock in Singapore on the Doulos I was one of the people at the main desk. Announcements and answering phones. I'm positive I won't be doing that! I'm all about dirt this time.

I just wanted to share a bit about it. I watched THIS VIDEO and got all nostalgic and teary about it. These ships are a huge part of my life--Jen visited while we were in Japan! The two years I was on board were the hardest and best 2 years of my life and I'm super excited to be able to be an active part of the whole thing again. Some of my friends are still there and it'll be great to see them as well...

Crew and Staff of the MVDoulos, Christmas Day 1999
Kota Kinabalu Malaysia. I'm circled in blue...

Thanks for reading this. It's about the only thing that brings a smile to my face right now...that and Alison Krauss/Gillian Welch singing "I'll Fly Away."

4 Comments:

At 07 March, 2006 12:37, Blogger Jen said...

Yay on LogosHoope! Yay yayayayayaya!

(Who's the guy with the trash can on his head? Just kidding.)

I know you loved it so much - I'm so glad!

Also good on you for the music choice.

Can you come to Nashville too? Huh, please??? (Just kidding.)

 
At 07 March, 2006 13:02, Blogger Chris said...

Wow! How exciting!!

 
At 07 March, 2006 18:59, Blogger Lynda said...

Very, very cool. I'm humbled!

(and, love that version with Allison Krauss/Gillian Welch!)

 
At 09 March, 2006 14:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems we both have a travel bug. I'm plotting my escape right now.

I hope the book on socks serves you well, a friend in my knitting group has it and enjoys it.

:)
Secret Pal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home