Saturday, January 14, 2006

1 + 1 = 1 pair!

I finished the Second Sock last night!
See:



I also started the ripping process on the Gap sweater. All was going well until I got to the collar. The collar, you see, seems to have been STEEKED! So I have all these way-too-short pieces of yarn from the shoulder down to the end of the ugly v-neck (hey--I like v-necks, this one really was ugly!). So that's annoying. But the cables are incredibly cool. One of them has this cool pattern inside of the cable--might be slip-stitch, might be something else, really I have NO IDEA. Anyway, I have pictures!

If anyone recognizes what is happening on the inside of the cable from the photo, please let me know!


This used to be a sweater?


And here we have the collar...you can't really see the ends hanging all over the place, but trust me, they are there.


Anyone have any ideas on this pattern?? Can you see what I mean by "within the cable"?

And just because he's so cute, here is another photo of Jamal. He has never climbed up on my shoulders before and since the camera was handy and I thought it to be so adorable, I snapped a photo of it. I had just got home from work on the dock and was exhausted, so be gracious about how scary I look--focus on the CAT, people! :o)



(clicking on any photo will take you to a clearer, larger photo--especially helpful to those trying to figure out the cable pattern or exactly how long it has been since Kirsten shaved her legs!)

7 Comments:

At 14 January, 2006 17:50, Blogger Lynda said...

Very cool socks~! and a beautiful cat!

 
At 14 January, 2006 17:51, Blogger Chris said...

The socks look great!! (Heh, I was trying to figure out this morning if I would have to shave my legs before taking the final Jaywalker pictures, or if I could creatively obscure my legs... and the socks aren't even done yet.)

Great shot of Jamal!! I like the cat eye glowing out from the background of the first sweater shot, too.

Um, it's kinda hard to tell (even with the larger picture), but maye it's simply some twisted stitches? I'm not that experienced with textured stuff like that...

 
At 14 January, 2006 23:26, Blogger ~k said...

The stitches are funky when I pull them out...it's nothing I've ever seen before, but that's not saying too much! I'm sure someday I'll come across the pattern and say "HEY!" and remember the day I ripped out that Gap sweater. :o)

 
At 15 January, 2006 00:18, Blogger Sara M said...

I think that line down the middle is a column of purl stitches. The stitches on either of the actual cable are knit, not purled. At least, that's how it looks. Do you have a photo from behind, the WS?

 
At 15 January, 2006 02:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I wonder if it's some kind of Fisherman's Rib - I'll go and look it up in my Harmony Guide and get back to you if it looks likely.

 
At 15 January, 2006 07:26, Blogger Jen said...

I think it's a combination of the yarn and the stitch. Normally cables are countered with purl stitches to make them stand out (the cables are knit stitches).

Going left to right on the inside it looks like you have the left edge of cable, a column of knit stitches, a column of unknown (which I agree, looks like fisherman's), another column of knit, and then your right edge.

This is a closed-loop cable (rather than a braid-type cable) and part of the design here is that the yarn is a multi-strand yarn instead of a single ply (Lamb's Pride Bulky, Manos) or a cabled yarn (which is not used for cabling). Multi-strand means they can start off with finely plied wool and make bigger yarn out of finer plies. It's also what gives you that look where the right side of your stitches look like one vertical column.

Here's an article with pictures - Knitty

I think the way to tell if it's fisherman's is to remember that to get f-rib you knit into the stitch below the one on the needle...so when you rip out or pull the stitches apart it should look like it's not really connected to the rest of the column on the right hand side of the stitch.

So my guess is: cable st, k1, fr1, k1, cable. But honestly, it could easily be a column of seed stitch where the knit stitches are fisherman's rib and the purl stitches aren't. Wish I had a Barbara Walker book!

Don't know though.

 
At 15 January, 2006 12:29, Blogger ~k said...

Probably fisherman than. It does look like the stitches are from the row beneath when I rip it. That's what was flabbergasting me. And actually, I do have a photo of the WS...I'll post it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home